Efficient Algorithms for Map Labeling
This project was funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
(DFG). For similar projects refer to their research program "Efficient Algorithms for Discrete
Problems and their Applications".
Diese Seite existiert auch auf Deutsch.
June 1996 to May 1999.
The focus of this project were development, theoretical analysis,
implementation and experimental testing of algorithms for a number of
map-labeling problems. A map producer has to arrange information on a
map so that:
We generalized results and methods we had used to approximate the
solution of a special case of the map labeling problem in order to
solve new problems related to
- for every piece of information it is intuitively clear which
feature is described,
- the information is of legible size, and
- different texts do not overlap.
- classical (statical) labeling of technical maps, and to
- dynamical map labeling in the context of geographical
information systems (GIS).
Last change: October 6, 2003